Sep 25, 2015

Day 7: Starting to fall apart

Emotionally, fine. Spirit? Doing great. Social and mental state? Two thumbs up. Physically? I'm crumbling like old blue cheese.

Who'd have thought that my limited exercise and couch potato lifestyle could be that important that I can't change it for 2 weeks.
My usual recipe:
- 5 mins of stretches I learned for fencing.
- Stir in 10-15 minutes of aerobic running, jumping and other foolish looking "on the spot" activities.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes under intense target practice, Foil blade and footwork.
Serve with lots of water.

Nothing too intense or demanding. So I get here and first thing I find out is the 3 three bears must have lived here - only baby bear went off to college and they converted his room into a study. The bed is hard as a board (no good for a side sleeper like me) and the sofa is too soft (a no no for anyone with a bad back), and  as I say, the just right bed got sold on Craigslist. I do night one on Papa bear's stone slab and I opted for the sofa thereafter.

Second change is I go walking a couple of miles a day instead of my usual bounce and stretch. Seemed okay. I'm waking up a bit stiff but nothing a fifth of Stoli and a mouthful of pills can't cure (Kidding! Geez...) Toss in the fact that I'm on my tush all day long, instead of standing as I usually do at my bench and I was up at 1am this morning screeching like a teenager with serious growing pains - the one thing I do recall viscerally from my wasted youth.

My back, legs and neck are so sore that a massage therapist would take one look and quit their job thinking hello PhD dissertation - goodbye trenches.

I did take a ladleful of Tylenol and stretched out on the old bear's Tempurpedic granite doz-o-matic. Things are better but it's 5am. I better create a writing table I can stand at and get my ass running again.

Otherwise, I'll be going home curled up in a fetal position and shipped COD.

No comments:

Post a Comment