Oct 14, 2015

Pain and imagination don't mix

Last weekend an old spinal injury flared up and I've been in some serious pain all week. This used to be frequent but not for the past several years and I had forgotten how exhausting chronic pain is. Pain itself I can handle, but living with it just wears a body down and saps my creative ability.

We all say, "as long as I'm laid up I can get stuff around the house done". But I can't think clearly through a cloud of managed pain, even after the codeine has taken off the edge.I don't have the patience to just wait it out for a few days. So I end up in mindless pursuit of TV, daydreams and idle net-surfing.

To me, this is prison. I've survived cancer, broken bones and major surgery but when my brain takes a break, I'm a soul lost at sea in search of a horizon.

I better see land soon or I'm going to swim for it!






No comments:

Post a Comment